Saturday, January 08, 2011

Decorating a Big Girl Room

Now that we are settled into our apartment routine it's time to pretty the place up!

I've been mulling over what to do with Sid's room. I want to transition it from baby to big girl but still keep her personality a part of everything.

This painting is one of the things we kept from her old room. I love that it's 1.) educational 2.) girly and 3.) colorful. I used it as one of our inspirational jump off pieces.





Santa brought Sidney this Barbie palace. His elves worked for 2 1/2 hours putting it together! Installing a 3 story elevator in a dollhouse is more complicated than you might imagine. After so much bonding time with this peice of plastic (not to mention that it dominates a large portion of her room) I felt we needed to incorporate it as another inspiration piece.Here are some of the items we have purchased so far:


I love that I can throw this quilt in the washing machine. It is also reversible to a solid if Sid gets tired of the dots. The quality is great. I think this is a blanket she could have through college.Sidney is a Hello Kitty fanatic. This throw pillow was pretty much a no brainer. When we found it at Target she insisted on carrying it until we got to the check out and then I had to persuade her to let the cashier have it to scan. It's a perfect match to the pinks in the quilt!We were in need of toy storage so that we could walk through Sid's room without stumbling over horses, Barbies and tea sets. Damon and I put this together twice since I can't read instructions. It's pretty and has safety latches so she won't get her fingers smashed. It's in front of her window where it can also double as a window seat.We ordered 5 of these panels for Sid's window. They give her room a pretty pink glow when the sun shines through them.


This is the bedskirt that coordinates with her quilt. We also picked up a pink zebra body pillow to put behind the quilt shams.


There are still quite a few things to pick up before her room is complete. We need a good lamp for reading and a wall clock. Some of the things we're considering adding to the pink madness:

I found this clock on etsy. They will personalize it with your child's name. With all the pink in her room we need some purple to balance things out.




I found this mobile on etsy also. They will customize the butterflies to coordinate with your child's room. It also looks really cool when it spins. It's as though you have a globe of fluttering butterflies above your bed.




I discovered PBTeen when I was looking for quilts. I love this site! Very fun and funky. I like all of these lamps. Going to be tough to narrow it down to one!







I had seen some vinyl wall quotes at Target but none of them seemed to fit Sidney. I was blown away by how many online options there were. Here are a few of my favorites:













post signature

No comments: