Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Digging up the Past

After my grandparents passed away last year, my family decided that it would be nice to move my mom and aunt to the same plot. So for the past several months my uncle has been working to get all the legal details in order to make the move. It required a judge's seal of approval and lots of patience but they finally moved my mom this week. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like that they are all together. I like that i can see my grandparents, aunt, and mom at the same time. It's just odd. Kind of like re-arranging the furniture, but with bodies. I'm going to see it in a few weeks. She's still dead, but I keep thinking that she's happier now. I hope so anyway.

post signature

3 comments:

Marta said...

I know what you mean.... it's odd to think about moving bodies around. I've only been out once since they moved Mom. But there is an odd comfort in seeing all their names there together. I think Rachel and I may try to go out sometime soon.... would you like me to email you some pics?

Love you, cousin, and miss you! Hope to see you soon!

Graham Paterson said...

I also felt kind of weird signing the approval for the move. It seemed odd yet the other factors weighed in its favor.

I saw photos that Jeanie took of the graves. The ground is gravelly and bare compared to the previous cemetery.

Seeing your poem again stirred me as I think about the loss you and Landon have had to adjust to.

I experience deep sadness when I think of the 23rd coming up in a few days.

Especially I miss hearing your mother's beautiful alto singing and hearing her laugh.

I am settling down again on the inside now that the move has been made and I am becoming more convinced it is for the last time.

Love you lots and am very proud of you.

Dad

Meredith said...

I appreciate your honesty...love you.